Don’t know how to stop yourself from overeating? Can’t keep yourself from binge eating and thinking of food every day?
Being thrust into this predicament is never easy to get out of, not when you think your only means of coping is food.
Find the tools to help you reconnect with your mind and body to reach alignment in your life.
Jared Levenson is a former binge eating wrestler, lay ordained Zen monk, certified intuitive eating counselor, and a CBT journaling advocate. He helps hard-working folks write their way to eating enlightenment and food freedom.
In this episode, Jared shares his life story – binge eating, depression, and marijuana addiction. There’s not a day that he would not think about food – how he would obsess on just food and how shame, loneliness, and isolation would compound the burden he is already carrying. This problem carried on for years until he decided to do something for himself.
Find out how meditation and joining a Zen monastery helped him recover and reconnect with himself and his thoughts. His introverted personality, in a way, was also a contributing factor to the problem, but, hear him out when he says, he embraces it now and finds power in it.
Let’s uncover what happened during his stint in the monastery and the helpful activities and action steps that extensively played in his road to healing.
Also, let’s discover as he shares with us one tool that ultimately gained him emotional mastery allowing for self-awareness, making him reconnect with his body and thoughts, thus giving him the freedom he deserves.
“Do not rush the process; just keep that hope alive. Keep doing little things to nurture that spark.”
– Jared Levenson
What you will learn from today’s episode:
- 02:33 – How do people get into unhealthy eating habits?
- 04:42 – Sharing his story of binge eating for years and how life was like every day
- 07:07 – How was it like binge eating and what shame, loneliness, and isolation have to do with it
- 11:03 – Doing well in school but socially awkward
- 12:48 – How he got out of his introvert tendencies and binge eating
- 16:53 – Meditation and reconnecting with oneself
- 18:10 – How he reconnected with this body and thoughts
- 22:27 – What’s with journaling – the cauterization analogy
- 27:20 – Journal with awareness right before you eat
- 28:59 – How Hypnosis relates to journaling
- 31:03 – Journaling being like a sword
- 36:52 – Talking about the eating enlightenment app
- 38:07 – Inspirational thoughts from Jared for someone going through what he underwent
Connect with Jared Levenson:
Connect With Leslie Thornton: